Sony STR-DH800 7.1-Channel Audio Video Receiver


  • 7.1-channel A/V receiver
  • 7 HD inputs (4 active HDMI and 3 component inputs)
  • Enhanced color range (Deep Color and x.v.Color technology)
  • Blu-ray audio decoding (Dolby TrueHD/ DTS Master Audio/Linear PCM)
  • Wireless multi-room audio (S-Air ready)

Product Description
The STR-DH800 7.1 Channel A/V Receiver delivers the Full HD 1080 experience to a home theater system. This newly designed 1080p A/V Receiver features 7 HD inputs including 4 HDMI inputs with "Active Intelligence" that allow the desire for more HD content to grow. In addition, the STR-DH800 is compatible with 24p True Cinema technology video signals and decodes uncompressed audio formats (Dolby TrueHD/dts Master Audio/LPCM via HDMI) making it compatible with Blu-ray DiscPlayers , the PlayStation 3 Technology and other HD sources. Simply plug in the optional S-Air transmitter and turn on the AirStation client (sold separately) and listen to your favorite music in another room or in multiple rooms.

Sony STR-DH800 7.1-Channel Audio Video Receiver

Post a Comment

7 Comments

  1. Good: Great sound, lots of HDMI plugs, well-made

    Bad: Manual is worthless (read below).


    Does anyone know how to get this receiver to show up on my TV? It's suppose to have an on screen menu but the manual only mentions it and doesn't tell you how to get it. I hooked up one HDMI to the "Out" on the receiver and the other end into my Sharp HDMI 7 plug. Can anyone help me here?

    Thanks!

    Jim
    Rating: 3 / 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. given as gift, have no real opinion on this product except that it was the one the recipient wanted.
    Rating: 5 / 5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pros:

    None


    Cons:

    Extremely idiotic "Protect" feature that shuts down the entire receiver if one connection out of the 30 (literally) speaker connections is loose. Utterly pointless. If the speaker connection is loose, I'd be able to hear garble, identify the ONE speaker that has a loose connection, and troubleshoot that as opposed to troubleshoot every single connection which this moronic hunk of junk makes you do.


    Sound output from Xbox360 HDMI input only went to 2 out of the 7.1 speakers, Spent a cool 2 hours checking ALL connections and settings, only to find that I had to set the HDMI sound output to "TV+AMP" instead of just "Amp"


    Probably my favorite is the lie on page #12 of the owner's manual that says: "You can watch the selected input image [referring to component video input] when you connect the HDMI OUT or MONITOR OUT jack to a TV.


    Probably the WORST user manual ever written...it's like a choose your own adventure novel. It refers you to one page, then on that page, refers you to another. Numerous instances of that. Especially frustrating when you're trying to find the answer to an unbelievably simple question: How do I select component 1 video?! Oh ok...I have to assign it to a custom input, great, how do I do that? Turn to page XX Oh ok, I have to select an input first to customize, turn to page XX. Now I have to select V.Assign, turn to page XX, hey why isn't component 1 video playing through HDMI out? Thought on page 12 it said I could see component 1 through HDMI out? No wait, that was a complete lie and it'll take you several hours of navigating through forums to realize that this worthless receiver DOES NOT PASS COMPONENT VIDEO TO HDMI AS CLEARLY STATED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL.


    Weather you are a pro or a novice, this is NOT a good product...you will waste a LOT of time trying to get it to "work." Those who say this is a great unit don't even realize it's not working the way it should.
    Rating: 1 / 5

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purchased this STR-DH800 amplifier and the 5 disc SONY NC800 DVD/CD player and am VERY DISAPPOINTED. The $300 amplifier does not have on screen menus and is very complex; the $120 DVD/CD player can ONLY be adjusted through the TV and does have 1080P upscaling. No 1080p upconversion on the amp so you cannot connect older components to the amp and expect the HDMI out cable to handle them. Why have composite video in on the amp if you cannot output??


    When I try to play CD's on the new player (connected by HDMI to the amp) it keeps losing sound every 10 seconds! Sony tells me that this is because the amp has

    "ACTIVE INTELLIGENCE" (a real oxymoron...really meaning NO THOUGHT WHATSOEVER WENT INTO THE DESIGN) and the TV must stay on to play only MUSIC CD's since the player is connected in by HDMI and the out is to the TV! WOW??


    I had SONY audio and video products before...but never again after this experience.
    Rating: 2 / 5

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually don't write a review, but I hope this is helpful. I recently purchased a new TV and was shopping around for a receiver for my basic home theater.


    Pros: great value a 7.1 channel 110 watts/per, sound is good, has the latest, audio decoder with hdmi connections


    Cons: remote has older codes and is not compatible with my newer equipments. ex: 55in led lg tv and blue ray player. Also I notice the blueray input only works through the component connections (maybe my config is not correct) so I have to run it through the hdmi input which makes the BD input obsolete.

    Rating: 3 / 5

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the Opening Poster, it's a clear choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a powerful thing, it's interesting to see in action

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Your comment may or may not appear immediately. Please do not submit it twice! Certain words may trigger a spam filtering delay. Please refrain from profanity; inappropriate comments may be deleted by the author's sole discretion.